Saturday, September 26, 2009

Vancouver, Canada, 9-19-2009

After months of planning, we finally made it to Vancouver, Canada! Our day started very early, since our plane left Salt Lake at 7:30 AM. A BIG thanks to my brother Sam for picking us up at 5:30 AM and driving us to the airport.

We had a two hour layover in San Francisco (but it didn’t feel that long, since it took a while before we were finally able to get off the plane). My mom and I enjoyed looking around the San Francisco airport and getting free samples of Ghirardelli chocolate. The plane ride from San Francisco to Vancouver was a little bumpy, but not too bad, I was able to sleep off and on, while the guy next to my mom talked to her non-stop for the last hour of our plane ride.

I was a little nervous about driving in Vancouver, but we had a GPS system in our car. The GPS system was great, and easy to follow. Vancouver is a much bigger city than Salt Lake and the drivers are more aggressive than what I'm used to in Utah. The streets felt very narrow, especially with all the buses compared to Salt Lake. The street we drove on from the airport to Vancouver was BEAUTIFUL though. I’ve never seen so many huge hedges in front of people’s homes, and the homes that we were able to see were amazing!

After we checked into our hotel (The Ramada Limited,
it’s an old building that’s been remodeled, but it’s quaint and cozy), we took off for Gastown, which is a neighborhood about 2 blocks north from where we were staying.

We found the Big Bus tour in Gastown that takes you around Vancouver to see the sights. My mom and I didn’t get off at any of the stops since it was near the end of the day, and we wanted to just see the city. It was interesting, and I’m very glad we didn’t try driving any of it since the streets are so busy! Our tour had music and re-enactments, which made both my mom and me laugh and think of Seinfeld and the Peterman Reality Tour. It seems like everything goes back to Seinfeld!

After our tour we ate dinner at the original Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown. It tasted great, especially since we had not ate much during the day. After dinner we did some shopping and took pictures. Gastown is famous for the steam clock, and there were lots of tourists taking lots of pictures of it, including me.


Port Vancouver, also known as Canada Place. This is where we will get on the Star Princess.

Vancouver... I was surprised how big the city is. Salt Lake City seems small in comparison.

Granville Island, it's the gathering spot for both locals and tourists.

English Bay Beach. I don't remember the name of the rock figure, but it's the icon for a lot of Vancouver's 2010 Olympic merchandise.

Another view of English Bay Beach

My mom and I on the sightseeing bus (I'm the one with the camera, and my mom is wearing a black jacket, looking out the window).

Vancouver Lookout atop Harbour Centre (taken from Gastown)

The Gastown steam clock

Canada Place (It is the main cruise ship terminal for the region.)

My mom standing next to the Gaztown steam clock.

My mom and the Canadian bear. (I thought it was a cute picture.)

My mom and the Canadian moose.

No comments: