I was very surprised by the amount of cars, buses and other vehicles they get on the ferry, they really pack them in!
Ferry map. We left from Tsawwassen (don't ask me to pronounce it), and sailed to Swartz Bay.
Parking on the ferry boat, I can't believe how many cars they pack in, and this is only one side of the boat. There is also another level with big vehicles, like RVs, buses and semi trucks. Wow!
Aboard the ferry on our way (with our hot chocolate in hand) to Vancouver Island.
Beautiful clear day, but a cool wind, makes for a bad hair day.
One of the other many ferry boats.
They are lowering the ramp, for all the cars to drive out. The mini van to that was one row over and in the very front, had a dead battery when we went to leave. The ferry crew was very prepared, once they got the hood open they jumped the battery very quickly!
I was SO excited to see the Butchart Gardens! My mom had told me they were beautiful, but it's just something you have to see in person to truly appreciate it. (Like the Grand Canyon.) I was surprised to learn that the size of the gardens is 55 acres, about the same size as the Thanksgiving Point Gardens. The Butchart Gardens didn't seem that big, but maybe that's because it has more buildings on the property. The original Butchart residence now contains the Dining Room Restaurant, offices and other rooms used for entertaining purposes.
The site of the gardens was originally a limestone quarry, used for cement production. After the limestone has been exhausted, Mrs. Jennie Butchart (with lots of work and help), turned the area into the beautiful Sunken Garden.
"The Butchart Gardens remains a family business and has grown to become a premier West Coast display garden, while maintaining the gracious traditions of the past. Today the Gardens has established an international reputation for its year round display of flowering plants."
I was amazed by all the hedges in Vancouver, and this one next to the Butchart Gardens. If you can't tell there is a two story home behind this wall of hedge!
More pictures of the hedge... wow!!!
Yeah, I finally made it, and it was well worth the cost and the ferry ride (I didn't do too well on the ferry boat, I don't have sea legs!)
Greenhouse, next to the Blue Poppy Restaurant.
The Blue Poppy Restaurant where we ate lunch. I loved the design inside.
My mom standing under a number of hanging baskets of flowers! Beautiful, how I wish I could have hanging baskets of flowers without killing them.
The Sunken Garden, probably my favorite area of The Butchart Gardens. It's amazing to think that this area was once a limestone quarry which use to supply a cement plant.
A waterfall in the Sunken Garden.
As you can see the Sunken Garden is a busy and popular place.
The Bog Garden.
Wow, I love the colors and how beautiful it all is!
Okay, I took a lot of pictures in the Sunken Garden and I didn't even post all of them!
Ross Fountain, near the Sunken Garden.
Totem Pole in The Butchart Garden, carved in 2004 to commemorate The Gardens’ 100th anniversary.
This is looking up at a Coast Redwood Sequoia, planted in 1934.
Grass area near the concert lawn and stage area.
Looking towards the Italian Garden and the Butchart home.
Looking out the Japanese Garden towards the Butchart House and Dining Room Restaurant, where they serve afternoon tea on the veranda.
The Japanese Garden.
The Star Pond.
Another big hedge! This borders the Italian Garden, and you walk through it to enter the Italian Garden.
Some of the other ferry boats, going between the some of the islands.
No comments:
Post a Comment