Sunday, August 12, 2007

St. George Live - July 6, 2007

Our stay in St. George was a very enjoyable one despite the heat. We stayed at Greengate Village, a Bed and Breakfast. The “Village” is actually several historic buildings in the historic area of St. George. We stayed at the Orson Pratt house which is one of the oldest buildings in St. George. There was a great little store next to the village, called Judd's store. The store sells "penny" candy, and various kinds of soda in glass bottles. I think my favorite though was the Hawaiian shaved ice. It had vanilla ice cream in the bottom, then shaved ice on top of the ice cream, with pina colada flavor on the ice. It was to die for! Mom had a fresh strawberry shake which was also very good!

In the morning we went on the St. George Live tour, where various people portrayed historical figures from the early settlement of St. George. It was an interesting tour, and it gave me a great appreciatation for those early settlers in St. George, at least we had air conditioning, I don't know how they survived the hot summers.

Our final stop on the tour was Brigham Young's home. I guess I'm just a geek for the LDS history, especially when it involves the pioneers. I love visiting old historic homes, and feeling the spirit when the missionaries bear testimony of the work.

No comments: